The work groups of the Milwaukee Partnership Academy (MPA) develop and implement yearly work plans to reach the MPA goals and objectives. The membership of each work group includes individuals in key leadership roles in the partner organizations of the MPA.
Comprehensive Literacy Work Group
The Comprehensive Literacy Work Group supports and coordinates the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Literacy Framework within Milwaukee Public Schools through collaborative efforts. Examples include:
• Development of the Comprehensive Literacy Framework
• Construction of the outline for district focus as a Writing Intensive District
• Research, recommendations, and pilots regarding support for Reading instruction
at the middle and high school levels
• Providing resources and professional development to district staff, school staff,
parents, and community groups in support of Comprehensive Literacy
Comprehensive Mathematics Work Group
This group works with the Milwaukee Mathematics Partnership to provide support for the ongoing activities of the Comprehensive Mathematics NSF grant initiative.
For more information, click here.
Family Literacy & Tutoring Work Group
The Family Literacy & Tutoring Work Group supports children and families in achieving academic success through community involvement and collaboration. Through outreach efforts, the goals of the work group are:
• To collaboratively support family literacy initiatives
• To recruit and train volunteer tutors
• To maintain a database of city-wide tutoring opportunities for both students and
• To support a common message to engage families and the faith community in
working to close the achievement gaps
Skunkworks Work Group
The Skunkworks Work Group was formed to consider ideas that were not being discussed in any other forum. Much of the efforts to date have been dedicated to making sure that the voice of students is included in all of the decisions which affect the Milwaukee Public Schools and the debates which lead to those decisions.
Teacher & Principal Quality Work Group
The Teacher and Principal Quality Work Group works to align the professional development of teachers and principals across the career span, from initial development through induction to practicing teaching and school leadership. Among its many activities, this work group led the development of the Characteristics of a High Performing Urban Classroom document, the formative evaluation of Learning Teams, and the Urban Teacher Induction Handbook.
For more information on the individual work groups you may contact one of the work group chairs/co-chairs. Please see the Work Group Co-chair List for name and contact information.